Trending

Post Top Ad

Saturday, July 15, 2017

HUNGER IN OUR COMMUNITIES

Theme: Alleviating Poverty & Unemployment in the Nigeria Economy.

Tag line: "Making Life Better For All Nigerians"

Category: Hunger
Topic: Hunger in Our Community
Focus Area/Coverage: Nigeria As a

By:
AMBASSADOR CHUKWUKA PHILIP
CONTACT ADDRESS: NO 9 ADEGUN ARIGBEDE CLOSE BY DEJI OWORU STREET, ALAPERE-KETU, LAGOS.
EMAIL ADDRESS: PHILIPCHUKWUKA@YAHOO.CO.UK
MOBILE PHONE: 08068284705

I wrote on the topic ‘’Hunger’’ as one of the problems that requires urgent attention in order to revive our dear country’s greatness.

HUNGER!!!

Introduction: What is hunger?
Hunger is the feeling of weakness or discomfort that you get when you need something to eat. Hunger is a severe lack of food which causes suffering or even death. There is urgent need for us both as an individual or a community to collectively eradicate hunger. So many have delved into social vices all because they were hungry. A hungry person cannot think aright for him/herself let alone the betterment of the community that he lives. You will agree with me that the condition of a hungry man is as good as being hopless.Before we could be able to tackle or eradicate poverty we have to first and foremost think of the possible ways to reduce ‘’HUNGER’’ to its barest minimum because to fight poverty you need to strategize which requires energy which you derive from food intake so, that is the flow. Some do not participate at all in the societal development not because they do not have interest but because of lack of food. Take for instance when the time for registration for election approaches, you will be hearing some saying ‘’Is it me that don’t have food that will go and queue under the sun to cast my vote and at the end they will be enjoying with their families?.Just to mention but a few.
What are the effects of hunger and under nutrition on child development?

The following are the effects of hunger and under nutrition but are not limited to:

Prenatally
Maternal undernutrition during pregnancy increases the risk of negative birth outcomes, including premature birth, low birth weight, smaller head size and lower brain weight.  Babies born prematurely are vulnerable to health problems and are at increased risk for developing learning problems when they reach school-age.

In infancy and early childhood
The first three years of a child’s life are a period of rapid brain development. Too little energy, protein and nutrients during this sensitive period can lead to lasting deficits in cognitive, social and emotional development.  Protein-energy malnutrition, iron deficiency anemia, iodine, zinc and other vitamin deficiencies in early childhood can cause brain impairment.  Failure to thrive, the failure to grow and reach major developmental milestones as the result of undernutrition, affects 5-10 percent of American children under the age of three.  Hunger reduces a child’s motor skills, activity level and motivation to explore the environment. Movement and exploration are important to cognitive development, and more active children elicit more stimulation and attention from their caregivers, which promotes social and emotional development.

In childhood
Families often work to keep their food-insecurity hidden and some parents may feel shame or embarrassment that they are not able to feed their children adequately. Children may also feel stigmatized, isolated, ashamed or embarrassed by their lack of food.  A community sample that classified low-income children ages six to twelve as “hungry," “at-risk for hunger” or “not hungry” found that hungry children were significantly more likely to receive special education services, to have repeated a grade in school and to have received mental health counseling than at-risk-for-hunger or not-hungry children.  In this same study, hungry children exhibited 7 to 12 times as many symptoms of conduct disorder (such as fighting, blaming others for problems, having trouble with a teacher, not listening to rules, stealing) than their at-risk or not-hungry peers.  Among low-income children, those classified as “hungry” show increased anxious, irritable, aggressive and oppositional behavior in comparison to peers.  Additionally, the multiple stressors associated with poverty result in significantly increased risk for developing psychiatric and functional problems.
School-age children who experience severe hunger are at increased risk for the following negative outcomes:
Homelessness Chronic health conditions.  Stressful life conditions. Psychiatric distress.  Behavioral problems.  Internalizing behavior, including depression, anxiety, withdrawal and poor self-esteem.
The effects of under nutrition depend on the length and severity of the period of hunger and may be mediated by other factors.
Improved nutrition, increased environmental stimulation, emotional support, and secure attachment to parents/caregivers can compensate for early under nutrition.  Babies who receive enough nutrition while in the womb appear to show higher cognitive performance in later childhood.  The human brain is flexible and can recover from early deficits, but this also means that brain structures remain vulnerable to further negative experiences throughout childhood.  Breastfeeding, attentive caretaking and attention to environmental factors, such as sleep cycles and noise, can also promote healthy development.
Let’s us not forget the saying that a hungery man is an angry man.So, when a full grown age man is hungry in the society then he is prone to do otherwise which could either be stealing,gambling,begging on the street, change of behavioral attitude towards the community. What about the opposite sex (ladies)? Many ladies have ended up in pre-marital sex which often leads to pregnancy and finally land them into early marriage thereby putting their future in jeopardy. Can you imagine a woman with two to three children begging on the street for food, money and some other things just because of hunger?

SUGGESTED WAYS TO AMELORIATE THIS VICE ‘’HUNGER’’
Access to Education
Education is the best weapon against poverty and hunger. It is especially powerful in underdeveloped countries. Education means better opportunity and more access to income and food. Additionally, some countries have food-for-education programs where students are given free food for coming to school. This may seem like a basic idea in the United States, but it is life saving in many under developed nations.
Empowering Women
There is a direct correlation with hunger and gender inequalities. Empowering women to gain access to food, be providers, and lead their families has had a major impact on food access and ability to change financial situations.
Birth Control Education
High birthrates pose a problem when trying to solve hunger. Many people are not educated on reproduction or do not have access to contraceptives. Gaining access to contraceptives allows for family planning and economic freedom.
Access to Credit
Many organizations are helping people in poor countries to gain access to credit. Most of these credit loans are repaid, and they have created many industries, such as farms, that help create a sustainable provision for people and also develop nations economically. If these people do not have access to credit, they cannot start up industries that combat poverty.
Food Donations
Although ideally it would be better to get the entire world to a place of self-sustainability, it is not something that will happen overnight. In the meantime it is important to lend a helping hand. The impact of donations, both cash and food, have had an immense impact on world hunger.
This could be achieved through head count of the families within this category then employ some youths among them also to distribute the items which would be provided with a form for them to acknowledge receipt to ensure that it get to the right destination.So many are living with less than $1 per day while so many are unemployed. Tackling hunger in our land is like clearing a bush path that leads to the main farm without which the road will be very rough hence,for our dear country to be great again as in before1960’s according to the story from our fathers when Nigeria was fully into farming/agriculture we need to solve the problem of ‘’HUNGER’’.

Together we can change our people’s mind-set as well as the country at large.

ONE LOVE NIGERIA!!!
I AM FORE-SEEING A GREATHER NIGERIA BUT IT REQUIRES HARDWORK.

Regards:

Powered By:

#NICAREER INITIATIVES: Committed to Positive Change & Development

52 comments:

1. Mind blowing... Great one

2. I stand for Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic: Hunger in our community.

3. Abaye AyebaekipiriyeAugust 30, 2017 at 7:47 AM

I stand for Ambassador Chukwuka Philip

4. Paul Owoicho KinglseyAugust 30, 2017 at 8:11 AM

I stand for ambassador Chukwuka Phillip
    Topic: Hunger in our community

5. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic: Hunger in our community

6. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic Hunger in our community.He deserve to be crown a winner.

ReplyDelete
  7. I believe I should earn your votes based on antecedents.To make this country great is never an individual thing rather a collective effort which we must put together.meanwhile,if i get there today, believe me you will have a higher probability of getting there tomorrow so,let's put hands together and fight the good fight of ''comments'' just comment following the format above and all will be well.Your comment matters most to me at the moment.

8. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic Hunger in our community. He understands the present been of Nigerians.

9. "I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic : Hunger in our community". This topic shows that Chukwuka is a solution agent in this country. Thank you. Kayode Ola.

10. Well-done keep the good work ...purpose is the key in writing

11. Okonofua MagdaleneAugust 30, 2017 at 2:19 PM

I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic:Hunger in our community

ReplyDelete
  12. I stand with ambassador Chukwuka Philip.
    Topic:Hunger in our community. Nice one brother

ReplyDelete
  13. Zino I stand with ambassador Chukwuka Philip.
    Topic:- Hunger in our community. Nice One desr

14. "I Michael o,stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip

15. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    topic Hunger in our community. He is a great thinker and a wise researcher.

16. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic Hunger in our community. Ambassador Philip all the way!

17. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic :Hunger in our community

ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

19. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic: Hunger in our community.Best and most articulated

20. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip

Topic Hunger in our community

26. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic hunger in our community

27. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic Hunger in our community

ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

29. I STAND WITH AMBASSADOR CHUKWUKA PHILIP
    TOPIC:HUNGER IN OUR COMMUNITY

30. Noel-Onukogu BunmiAugust 31, 2017 at 5:06 AM

I stand with Ambassador Chukuwuka Philip
    Topic hunger in our community

31. I STAND WITH AMBASSADOR CHUKWUKA PHILIP
    TOPIC: HUNGER IN OUR COMMUNITY

32. I STAND WITH GREAT AMBASSADOR CHUKWUKA PHILIP AM IN SUPPORT OF HIS
    TOPIC:HUNGER IN OUR COMMUNITY.

33. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic: hunger in our community
    there is much hunger in town.you chose a realistic topic carry go

ReplyDelete
  34. i stand with ambassador philip chukwuka topic hunger in our community.we need high thinkers like you.well done!

35. I stand with Anbassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic : Hunger in our community
    Guy you reason well.Long live Nigeria.
    No.33 i give it to you!!!

36. I am impressed Chukwuka Philip. I am confident you'll win

Topic: Hunger in our community

37. I believe in you my friend Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic : Hunger in our community

38. Owowumi Taiye FolarinAugust 31, 2017 at 7:52 AM

I stand with ambassador Chukwuka Philip on the topic: HUNGER IN OUR COMMUNITY.

39. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic:Hunger in our community

40. I stand with you my brother Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic: Hunger in our community

41. I stand with you Ambassador Chukwuma Philip
    Topic : hunger in our community. True son of the father kudos. We are behind you.

42. I stand with you Ambassador Chukwuma Philip

43. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic: Hunger in our community.
    Chkukwuka Philip all the way.

44. Dr. Serrano Oluwafemi KolawoleAugust 31, 2017 at 9:01 AM

I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic:hunger in our community

45. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic hunger in our community.Strongly supported

ReplyDelete
  46. I Ambassador Chukwuka Philip got a notification from my friend who owing to network toggling erroneously pubished his comment twice ''no. 40'' as you could see was never intentional.He ''Memeh .O'' tried deleting one but to no avail.Kindly use the vintage of your good office to remove/subtract one from my total votes for i never meant to cheat or beat the system.

Kind regards.

47. Glory Ubong StephenAugust 31, 2017 at 10:26 AM

I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic: Hunger in our community

48. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip
    Topic : Hunger in our community"

ReplyDelete
  49. I stand with Ambassador Chukwuka Philip.
    Topic: Hunger in our community.

50. I Mbachu Emmanuel stand with ambassador Chukwuka Philip

Tags

Powered By:

#NICAREER INITIATIVES: Committed to Positive Change & Development.

Support Our Vision

Your Ad Spot

Recent Updates

Welcome Address

Welcome to Nicareer Initiative, the number one platform that is committed to eradicating poverty and unemployment in the Nigeria economy. We provide gainful employment opportunities for unemployed youths across the nation and create a space for young people to thrive.

◊ Job Vacancies